Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Extra Spicy Zucchini and Pasta Casserole


I know I said I couldn't eat anymore Zucchini until next year, but I got another box full today so I had to come up with something! I will warn you this is incredibly spicy and not for the faint of heart... Zucchini Casserole: A Cautionary Tale! I'd also like to give a shout out to a friend named Steve Fuscowned (not his real name) who recently expressed his love of Zucchini to me. Hope you like spicy food, too. This one's for you!




Guys. I wasn't kidding. The Zucchini is back, and just as big as it ever was!
I have like, 6 of these monstrosities. I really don't know what I'll be making the rest of the week!
So, I decided to make a casserole. I started by sweating some onion & garlic, then adding in the Zucchini and all the spices.
Then I added one of these
...and some wine & pasta
Then I shredded some Colby-Jack cheese
and layered wheat germ and cheese on top of the Zucchini stuffs in a pan
Then baked it at 400°F for about 20 minutes, varying per stove(mine sucks is broke)




Extra Spicy Zucchini and Pasta Casserole

Ingredients

  • 1 large Zucchini, chopped
  • 1 onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. white pepper
  • 1 tsp. cayenne pepper (adjusted to how spicy you like it)
  • ½ tsp. black pepper
  • ½ cup white wine
  • 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
  • Shredded cheese, your preference on amount and type
  • 1-2 tbsp. wheat germ
Method
  1. Begin by slicing onion & garlic. Sweat over medium-low heat in olive oil until they become translucent
  2. Add chopped Zucchini, salt, and peppers. Allow to cook down over medium heat so Zucchini gives up moisture.
  3. Add crushed tomatoes, pasta, and wine. Allow to cook until pasta is half done.
  4. Shred some cheese to top the mixture. Oil a casserole pan and pour the Zucchini mixture into it. Sprinkle some wheat germ on top, then cheese, and some more wheat germ.
  5. Bake at 400°F for approximately 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the filling is bubbly.
Have a good rest of the week!

©The Village Farmhouse | Amy Heck 2012. Please do not steal my images.

No comments:

Post a Comment