Search This Blog

Monday, July 30, 2012

Zucchini & Quinoa "Lasagna"


I promise this will be the last Zucchini recipe for a while as I am going to bake some more Zucchini bread to freeze because I really cannot eat anymore or it might start growing from my ears!

I found a very similar recipe to this on the internet, and I know raw foodists tend to make "pasta" from Zucchini many times. Hungry Girl did a very similar eggplant tower.  This uses Quinoa as the protein and almost winds up like the ground beef in a meat sauce. I did mine differently by roasting(because I really love the way roasted veggies taste)and not using cream cheese or sour cream, I kind of stayed a little purist here. Not totally original, but if anyone ever gives you 10 pounds of Zucchini- rest assured, you will find plenty of recipes on my blog. 


Sorry I'm not as descriptive today...I'm tired tonight!



Here is the most ridiculously large Zucchini I have ever seen in my life.
Here it is cut into slices and then tossed with olive oil, salt, & pepper
Here it is laid in two pans because it was too ridiculously large for one
Here is some organic red Quinoa that I cooked with marinara sauce & water, to layer with the Zucchini
(Quinoa, whilst cooking)
Sigh. One day I will have a really nice camera that makes my food look like something everyone will want to eat.
Here's the Zucchini after I roasted it mmmmmmm
And here's a picture of the fresh Mozzarella...
(I'm not gonna lie, this is my favorite part of the whole meal)
Here's how to layer everything:
1. Spread Quinoa sauce on the bottom (looks like meat sauce, right?!)
2. Put a layer of roasted Zucchini over the sauce
3. More sauce!!!
4.Very thinly sliced cheese
5. Another layer of Zucchini, etc., etc.
And this is what it looks like when it's ready for the oven
And after it's baked

As with most of my pictures, it tastes much better than it looks.


Zucchini & Quinoa "Lasagna"

Ingredients

  • 1 Large, or 2-3 medium Zucchini, sliced
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup Quinoa/Red Quinoa
  • 1 25-oz. jar marinara sauce
  • 1 16-oz. fresh Mozzarella, thinly sliced

Method

  1. Slice Zucchini into about  ¾-in thick "noodles", toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast in a pan at 400-425°F for anywhere from 30-45 minutes, depending on your oven and how browned you want them. I like mine pretty well browned.(I did mine at 400° for almost an hour- but my oven is, shall we say, "a piece")
  2. Put Quinoa, marinara, and water in a pot and bring to a boil, stirring while waiting. Once it's boiling, cover and reduce to a simmer. Simmer 15-20 minutes, until the Quinoa absorbs the water and is soft, and sauce will thicken.
  3. When Quinoa and Zucchini are finished, oil a pan and layer sauce, Zucchini, and cheese.
  4. Bake at 425°F for about a half hour, until the cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling.
Enjoy! Here's wishing you the beginning of a pleasant week!


©The Village Farmhouse | Amy Heck 2012. Please do not steal my images.

No comments:

Post a Comment