Search This Blog

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Blueberry Zucchini Bread


I am still swimming in Zucchini. I am literally, over my head in these squash! Ok, not literally because then I wouldn't have any room in here to even type :) I am trying desperately lately not to make sweet treats, but I was asked to bring a dessert last Sunday, and now I have got to do something with these things! Since our very, very good friends are moving into their first home this weekend (and we are helping!), I figure one of the loaves can go to them as a little housewarming present. The other loaf we can slowly eat over a few days. Right.






So I actually found this recipe online, but I've modified it so much so, that the only thing it has in common with the original is that there's Blueberries and Zucchini in it. I'm not using sugar, I'm using Maple syrup, and I'm using a 50/50 whole wheat/Tapioca flour mixture. I've totally changed the topping to use oats, Tapioca flour, Pecans, and Maple syrup. Because I'm using syrup instead of sugar, I had to adjust the wet ingredients significantly, since it will appear very, very wet just keep that in mind. Also, I know there is no actual need for eggs in baking and you can substitute something like 2 tbsp. yogurt in the place of an egg, but I didn't have plain yogurt or Blueberry yogurt so I just used it anyway, otherwise I would have used yogurt. And it would have been Greek yogurt, in case anyone is wondering.

First shred the Zucchini

Mix all the wet ingredients. 

Look! A little person helper!
Awww hello my love!!

Fold in the shredded Zucchini
Try not to think about what it looks like right now! It's good I promise!

Gently mix in your dry ingredients-- you don't want flour everywhere! Also don't forget to add your Blueberries like I did! You're supposed to fold them in BEFORE you put them in your pans!


Mix together the "crumb topping"...I actually used a whole stick of butter thinking "well it makes two loaves it will be fine"... yeah...it actually still tastes great, but it would be more crumbly if you adjust it to half a stick, considering this uses syrup!

Ready for the oven!
Bake at 350°F for 50 minutes. Mine took 1 hour because my oven heats unevenly and I really need a new one!



I will revisit this so I can get the topping correct next time! Seriously though--I did a taste test and it came out well, it's just a presentation thing.



Blueberry Zucchini Bread

Ingredients
Bread:
  • 1 lightly beaten egg, or ¼ cup yogurt
  • ¼  cup Olive oil
  • 1 tbsp. Vanilla
  • 2 cups pure Maple syrup
  • 2 cups shredded Zucchini
  • 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 ½ cups Tapioca flour
  • 1 tsp. sea salt
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • ¼ tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tbsp. Cinnamon
  • 1 pint Blueberries
Topping:
  • ⅔ cup Tapioca flour
  • ¼ cup pure Maple syrup
  • ½ cup oats
  • ½ cup roughly chopped Pecans
  • ½ stick softened butter
  • 1 tsp. Cinnamon
Method
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two loaf pans, or 4 mini loaf pans.
  2. In a large bowl, beat together the egg (or yogurt), oil, Vanilla, and syrup. Fold in the Zucchini. Beat in the flours, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and Cinnamon. Gently fold in the Blueberries and transfer to prepared loaf pans.
  3. Mix together all topping ingredients, with your hands, and sprinkle over the loaves before baking
  4. Bake for 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center come out clean. Cool in the pans for 20 minutes, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.

Have a great Thursday... I will have a dinner recipe up later!




©The Village Farmhouse | Amy Heck 2012. Please do not steal my images.

No comments:

Post a Comment