Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

2-3 Recipes: My Version of "Fiesta-Lime" Seasoning; Chorizo, Rice, & Bean Stuffed Peppers; And, Leftover Rice & Vegetables.


Remember when I said yesterday that I had gotten a bunch of peppers? Well, today I've decided to stuff those suckers with rice and beans! Mine are kind of small, though, so I had to come up with something quick to do with the leftover rice & bean stuffing.  So, here are 2-3 recipes depending upon your opinion of quick-fix-leftover ideas!




(Click there ↓ for the recipes!)




Before we start making the stuffing, let's make a little spice blend. I bad-mouthed spice packets yesterday, so I thought it inappropriate to use one in my recipe today. I have no problems with "Italian" seasonings, or "Herbes de Provence", and I'll use a Jerk/blackening/Lemon-pepper blend every so often, but I don't like to use much else mostly because of the preservative and salt content in the packet blends. That, and I usually have all the spices to make a blend myself, anyway. Remember that when I say "salt & pepper, to taste"; this is the only time I will use salt or pepper. This is my version of Mrs. Dash's "Fiesta-Lime" seasoning:

1/2 tsp. ground Coriander
1/2 tsp. Cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. Chili powder
1/2 tsp. smoked Paprika
1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
1/2 tsp. Onion powder
1/4 tsp. Oregano
1/8 tsp. Basil
1/8 tsp. dry Mustard
Salt & Pepper, to taste


Next, let's start on the stuffing. 

Here is what you need:


Jasmine rice, some water, Pinto beans, your spice blend you just made, UNCOOKED Chorizo (please use the uncooked Chorizo. The pre-cooked is usually not as good, full of liquid, and you can't brown it.), and I forgot to put a lime in there because I didn't have one...and I actually cheated and used some bottled lime juice-yikers! Don't be like me, use a real lime!

Toast your spices in a pan first, on medium heat. Add the rice and toast until everything becomes fragrant, but does not smell burnt. Then, add your water and lime juice. Bring to a boil,  cover, and lower heat- usually it needs to simmer for 15 minutes covered.

I highly suggest using low-sodium or no salt added beans, if you are being lazy like me and using the canned version rather than dry. I always not only drain the beans from a can, but thoroughly wash them. I find them to be overly salty and even become a little mealy if I don't rinse the oil off. So, drain and rinse the beans, and let them drain off the excess water for a little bit. Once you've removed the casings from the chorizo, brown it in a skillet and then add the rice, beans and Chorizo to a big bowl to mix it together really well.


Set that aside, as tempting as it is to grab a spoon and just shovel it in...trust me...wait it out! Grab your peppers.
Cut off the tops and hollow them out. Prepare. To. Stuff.

I had a combo of white/yellow shredded cheddar in my fridge and I just used a little to top each one, but honestly, these don't really need the cheese, I'm just a cheese fiend. The Jasmine rice will hold up really well because it doesn't dry up like other rices do. I Like it as much as Arborio and it costs less. Try cooking it with Coconut milk- it will be the best Risotto you've ever had.
But, now what? I have all this extra rice and beans and Chorizo! My peppers were too small!



Yeah, I know. Dopey me. Just yesterday I was all "I don't like to use shortcuts when feeding my family." Well, I wasn't talking about frozen Organic veggies. This is my favorite go to quick thing especially when I forget to figure in a vegetable to a meal. I boiled them up, and mixed it all together in the bowl and VoilĂ ! 

The leftover filling would also work really well for lunch the next day in a burrito rather than mixed with vegetables for a side dish.

Here it is all plated up for dinner:


Yeah, I lied...I found out I had tortillas and made burritos instead of just having the extra rice and beans on the side!


Chorizo, Rice, & Bean Stuffed Peppers

Ingredients
  • 12 bell peppers, any color
  • 1 cup Jasmine rice
  • 1½ cups water
  • 1 lb. uncooked Chorizo sausage
  • 15.5 oz. Pinto beans
  • juice of a lime- approx 2 tsp.-1 tbsp. and it's zest for extra lime flavoring
  • spice blend, recipe above.
Method

  1. Toast the spice blend on medium heat in the pot you will use for the rice. Toast until is smells aromatic, but not burnt (this will only take a minute or two). Add the rice and continue to toast for another minute or two. Add the water and lime juice/zest. Bring to a boil, cover and lower heat to a simmer, and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed.
  2. Drain and thoroughly rinse Pinto beans, allow to drain off the excess water. 
  3. Remove casings from Chorizo, and brown in a skillet. 
  4. When rice is finished, put in a mixing bowl with beans and Chorizo and mix well. 
  5. Wash peppers, remove stems & seeds, set them in a casserole dish, and stuff them.
  6. Bake at 400°F for about a half hour, until the cheese is melted and the peppers are soft, but the skin is not shriveled.



©The Village Farmhouse | Amy Heck 2012. Please do not steal my images.

No comments:

Post a Comment