Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Stuffed Seitan Roast

All right, so I really meant to write this up last night when I made it but I was so exhausted I just wanted to lay down and sleep for approximately 4 days. Not because this recipe is difficult or time consuming (truthfully, it isn't) but because I've been awoken night after night for probably the last month, paired with early mornings and late nights (let's say 11pm to 6am) with the same sad, sad reason: "Mommy, I need you", "I have to go potty", "I want my night light off". Sigh. She rarely needs to go to the bathroom, and honestly I think she's just over this whole sleeping thing which is getting really frustrating and results in my sleepwalking through life lately.

I've gotten really into seitan lately which you wouldn't think considering I have only been making it once a month or so (moderation!). It's so good, and so easy to flavor. It fills you up quickly and I have discovered it's really great for make-your-own-vegan/vegetarian-sausages.




From start to finish it will only take you about 10 minutes to get in the oven, and that is assuming you are like me and measure, pour, put away after each ingredient. The longest time is the cooking time. My recipe is not entirely original. I used this recipe as the basis and building block, and fused it with the spices and used the stuffing from this other one to make my own sort of roast creation. I did omit the cheese and some other things from the stuffing, but we can get to that when you read my recipe at the bottom.


I had made this about a month ago, and had extra stuffing that I froze for next time, so that's why the stuffing is nice and tubular! 
As a general rule, I don't like to bake with aluminum, but for this recipe you kind of have to in order to keep it together. Though, I've never tried tightly wrapping it in parchment, either.
I made a quick gravy out of Earth Balance, flour, and vegetable broth with various seasonings and threw that on top and some sweet potatoes on the side. Came out really good, even if the pictures make it not look so appetizing.
                 

Don't be intimidated! It's really quick, and you can't mess it up unless you over/under cook it. 

Stuffed Seitan Roast

  • 2 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten
  • 1/2 cup soy flour
  • 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
  • 1 tbsp. onion powder
  • 1 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. coriander
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp. turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1 3/4 cup vegetable broth
  • 2 tbsp. Bragg's
In a large bowl, whisk dry ingredients together. Add your wet ingredients to a measuring cup and mix. Combine wet into dry, mixing with a wooden spoon. Mix until it forms a dough ball (you may or may not need a couple more tablespoons or vegetable brother to pull it together). Turn out onto a cutting board and knead the dough for a minute or so, until it is a nice uniform ball. Roll out flat, and stuff with whatever you like.

Stuffing I used, and had frozen when I had extra:
  • 4 cups fresh spinach
  • 3 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • bread crumbs, enough to pull it together
  • olive oil, for sauteeing
  • salt & pepper
Cook spinach with olive oil and garlic until wilted. Add everything else, and saute until tender. Stuff your roast

After you stuff your roast, roll it up as tight as you can, and tuck ends under. Transfer to an oiled foil sheet, and roll again, like a Tootsie Roll, as tight as you can. Bake at 350 for anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half. It's finished when you press it and it feels like a roast would- a little give, but firm.

Are you all ready for Thanksgiving yet? I'm no, but luckily I don't host dinner, I just bring pie & sides!

No comments:

Post a Comment