Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Sweet Potato Falafel With Hummus

Hello, hello!

I'm trying to get better about posting more stuff on here, but I keep making the same stuff over and over, or we wind up going out and I don't cook. But the good news is I'm starting to get back into my groove again.
This is sort of in answer to the question I hear all the time: "But, what do you eat?" Oh boy, what DON'T I eat nowadays? I mean, aside from meat and dairy? This is the kind of stuff I eat now!

I found this recipe on the Earth Balance website, but I modified it a tiny bit. I also made hummus, which we ate all of, and I forgot to take a picture, but I can give you the recipe for that real quick:

Spicy Hummus

  • 1 15oz. can chickpeas, thoroughly rinsed and drained
  • 3 cloves fresh garlic, coarsely chopped
  • juice of one lemon
  • 1-2 tsp. tahini
  • 1 tsp. dried parsley
  • 1/2 tsp. dill weed (dried dill)
  • salt & pepper
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • water, if needed
Put all ingredients in a blender or food processor and whirl until smooth. You may or may not need to add a tiny bit of water, depending on how thick/smooth you like it. I had to add about 2 teaspoons to thin it out to a spreadable consistency. It mostly depends on your beans- what brand, how dry they are, etc.

Sweet Potato Falafel
  • 1lb. sweet potato, cooked and skins removed
  • 1 15oz. can chickpeas, thoroughly rinsed and drained
  • 4 cloves fresh garlic
  • 1/4-1/2 cup bread crumbs
  • 2 tbsp. ground flaxseed
  • 2 tsp. dried parsley
  • 1 tbsp. margarine (like Earth Balance)
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1 tsp. coriander
  • 1/2 tsp. turmeric
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
I started by boiling the sweet potato instead of roasting because I was short on time today, then drained them and allowed to cool slightly. Combine the chickpeas and potato with  margarine and garlic in a food processor, and whizz until smooth. Alternatively, you could just mash them with a potato masher and mince the garlic by hand,  but I wanted these to be really smooth and come together almost like a cookie dough. If whizzing in a blender or food processor, transfer to a bowl, and combine with all ingredients except bread crumbs. Depending on how you prepare your potatoes and their moisture content, you may or may not need to add bread crumbs. If you mashed everything by hand you probably won't need to add any, but I wound up adding 1/2 cup of bread crumbs. Next I used a cookie dough scoop(which is actually just a small ice cream scoop) to make my falafel balls, dropped them on a parchment lined cookie sheet, baked at 400F for 30 minutes, and they came out like this:
I whipped up a "salad" to throw on top of the hummus and flatbread and that consisted of romaine, cucumber, grape tomato, and red onion that I marinated in balsamic vinegar for about 15 minutes. In the end, this is how it all came together:
Typically I use pita for this, but all the pita I found was looking sad and stale at the store, so I grabbed these. It was great because these are whole grain with flax (!!) and all the pita I found was white.

No comments:

Post a Comment