Search This Blog

Monday, August 6, 2012

Black Bean Brownies


I have to admit this is not a totally original recipe, as I've seen a number of them circulating for some time now- and this concept has been on so many daytime talk shows in the last few years. I finally decided to try it because it seemed like something that might either be delicious or really "health food". Considering I am not a big fan of black beans, I admit I was skeptical. BUT! They came out really fudgy, and very chocolaty (and they actually tasted like brownies)! 



What makes this surprisingly easy is that you can do this almost completely in a food processor, which makes it really quick too.

First thing is to process the beans into a mash
At this point, I added the yogurt because I didn't want there to be pieces of bean, and I wanted it to be very uniform and smooth.
(Make sure to scrape the sides so everything gets mashed up)
Then I added all the dry ingredients and it looked like a chocolate cookie crust
(Yes, I did this at night and the lighting wasn't very good)
Then, I added the remaining wet ingredients, whirled it (forgot to take a picture), and poured it into a bowl because I wanted to make sure everything was well incorporated. Then I added chocolate chips and put it in an oiled(read: sprayed) 9×12 baking pan

Then baked it for about 45 minutes, forgot to take a picture when it was done, and had to have my friends send me a picture of them cut up on a plate!
Thanks Bob!


Black Bean Brownies

Ingredients
  • 1 15.5 oz. can black beans
  • 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour(or, white whole wheat flour)
  • ¾ cup cocoa powder
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup Agave nectar
  • 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
  • ½ cup plain 0% fat Greek yogurt
  • 1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. Vanilla
  • ¾ cup chocolate chips
Method
  1. Drain and thoroughly rinse the beans. In a food processor, blend them until mashed. Add the yogurt and process again so the beans are very smooth and without lumps.
  2. Add the dry ingredients, process again. Scrape the sides of the bowl so everything incorporates.
  3. Add remaining wet ingredients until everything is mixed, scraping the sides again. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add chocolate chips, mix. Pour into a well oiled (or sprayed)  9×12 pan. Bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes.


©The Village Farmhouse | Amy Heck 2012. Please do not steal my images.

No comments:

Post a Comment