Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Kicking A Cold

Today I only have a small "recipe", if you want to call it that. I wanted to share a sandwich I made which turned out surprisingly well.

But first, I want to write about how I'm trying to kick my cold! Yesterday I woke up after an awful night's sleep with the dreaded pre-cold, knowing that the full blown thing was only 24 hours away if I was lucky. I think it was mostly due to the sudden temperature change from the 50s, to the 20s. We had the heat too high most of Sunday (since it was warmer and we burn wood for heat so the temperature is hard to control) and let it die down overnight. So we went to bed sweating, and woke up freezing and I feel this is most of why I woke up feeling like a cold was looming.

So I figured I'd try to combat it by drinking plenty of water, eating oranges and making some garlic ginger soup I found on plant-based on a budget for lunch. It helped, and I started to feel better yesterday, so I made some PPK chickpea cutlets with broccoli twice baked potatoes for dinner. Thinking back, I would probably steam the cutlets first and then brown them. I felt it was hard to cook the middle without burning them.
After dinner I started to crash a little and started drinking my green tea.

Today, I woke up much to my dismay feeling a full-on cold.  So I drank my liter of water, 3 cups of green tea and had some soup in my attempt to kick it out in half a day. No such luck, but I was less congested at least, and felt hungry mid-afternoon.

I was excited to see over the weekend that Freshtown started carrying Daiya, which I've heard quite a lot about but wanted to really get used to life without cheese before I tried it. You know, in case it was really awful and all the vegans were lying.
So I quickly heated up the leftover cutlet in a pan, threw some Vegenaise & roasted red pepper on pumpernickel, and "melted" the cheddar on the cutlet, topped with cilantro.

Truthfully, the cheese is ok on its own. It didn't really melt as I had hoped (which you can probably tell from the picture) but when it hits a hot surface it sort of...liquefies I suppose is what I would call it and it does taste better like that, and does give me the satisfaction of hot, melty cheese.

I also made these vegan cashew cheesecakes over the weekend for some friends and holy smokes they were gooooood. I still have leftovers I haven't gotten into because I'm trying to ration them and not eat the remaining 6 in one night!

No comments:

Post a Comment