Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Spinach Bake




Last night I was feeling particularly lazy and had remembered seeing a recipe somewhere for a spinach bake. I was feeling like I really didn't want to do too much prep or clean up and not have to worry about defrosting anything for 6-8 hours. I was also thinking, "if I'm going to laze this out- it should at least have some nutritional value". I found the original recipe here but I did modify a few ingredients.




This was outrageously simple.
The brand of frozen spinach I had (Central Market Classics from Price Chopper) actually comes in a bag with little rolled up portions of the spinach. It's a really nifty idea.
I did this by spraying the casserole dish with cooking spray and then laying the spinach on the bottom. Later, I had to stir it around and break it up in the oven so it would cook completely.
Then I covered it with some left over shredded cheddar from taco night on Sunday.
Then I mixed everything else together and covered the spinach and cheese with it.
Then baked it for probably what wound up being an hour--I should have defrosted the spinach--because I had to break up the spinach toward the end so it would cook through.

Spinach Bake

Ingredients
  • Cooking spray
  • 16 oz. bag frozen spinach
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack
  • 1⅓ cups all purpose flour
  • 1½ cups milk
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
  • ⅛ tsp. ground nutmeg
  • ⅛ tsp. paprika
Method
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F 
  2. Spray the bottom & sides of a 9×13 baking dish and place spinach on the bottom in a even layer, then sprinkle cheese on top.
  3. Combine four and remaining ingredients in a bowl, whisking together. Pour mixture over spinach & cheese.
  4. Bake for 40 minutes, until lightly browned. Serve immediately. 


No comments:

Post a Comment